Website Promotes Monster Box Sales
The Anti-Counterfeiting Educational Foundation recently investigated a website, identified as ANCIENTGOLDEN, selling counterfeit monster boxes of gold and silver coins. After clicking this link, you’ll be directed you to a product page promoting a monster box of 100 x 1 Draped Bust $2.50 gold pieces for a price of $399.00.
Counterfeiters promoting the sale of counterfeit coins and precious metals utilize a variety of sophisticated tactics to lure in unsuspecting and uneducated victims. The Anti-Counterfeiting Task Force identified the following red flags:
- Monster boxes of 1798 gold coins are not available
- The photos of the coin do not have the word ‘COPY’ stamped on them as required by Federal law and the Hobby Protection Act
- The cost of $399 is a major sign of a counterfeit product
- Under close examination the orange box shows U.S. Mint seals along with United States Mint straps
- The sales narrative utilizes a well-respected numismatic dealer David Bowers as a selling point
- The site also guides you to other sales of coins including other world mint products slabbed PCGS and NGC coins
- About Us link directs to:
- The site only allows you to contact them by email
The information above illustrates how important it is for collectors and the public to buy from reputable dealers such as the Professional Numismatist Guild, a PNG Accredited Precious Metals dealer, or a well-established local dealer.
The Anti-Counterfeiting Educational Foundation is funded entirely by donations. Monetary contributions can be made online at ACEFonline.org/donate or by check mailed to ACEF, 28441 Rancho California Rd., Ste.106 Temecula, CA 92590. For additional information about donating, contact ACEF Director Brueggeman at info@ACEFonline.org.
Go back to Counterfeit Alerts